How hyperhidrosis affects life
It is not a health threat, but excessive sweating has serious implication on emotional wellbeing, social acceptance, and lifestyle, in ways such as the following:
- Self-esteem – The majority of individuals with this condition feel less confident as a result of visible sweat stains on clothing and accompanying odor. Many suffer depression.
- Social stigma – Sweating is perceived as a sign of anxiety, which can be off-putting to others. Excessive sweaters may avoid public places and social gatherings.
- Reduced interest in physical activity – It is hard to stay enthused about fitness, when even light walking leaves you drenched.
- Daily life – Those with hyperhidrosis may have to shower or change clothes frequently, interrupting productive routine and normal work habits.
- Diet – Caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods may contribute to heavy sweating.
- Intimacy – In a recent study, 34 percent of people with this condition said it adversely affected sexual activity.
The miraDry solution
miraDry is an FDA-cleared device that effectively treats underarm hyperhidrosis and foul-smelling sweat – often with just one treatment! (In some cases, two or three sessions, spaced several months apart, are necessary for optimal resolution.) Microwave energy safely heats and destroys sweat glands, without harm to surface skin or other organs.
This is an outpatient procedure requiring only localized numbing. There is little or no downtime following treatment. The average patient sees dramatic improvement immediately, and about 82 percent reduction in sweating, long-term. Sweat glands do not grow back, so results are permanent.
To learn more about miraDry treatment, schedule a consultation at The Menkes Clinic & Surgery Center in Mountain View, CA; (650) 962-4600.