IPL is an abbreviation for Intense Pulse Light. From the smooth, flat glass hand piece, a precision light generator emits pulses of intensely bright white light against the skin. The machine generates multiple wavelengths of light in pulses designed to dissipate brown hyperpigmentation, break up small blood vessels that lie just beneath the surface, and encourage the production of collagen within the cells while ensuring tissue at the surface remains unaffected.
An IPL treatment is very effective at removing or softening acne scars. Generally, IPL treatment achieves desirable effects on the face, neck, chest and the back of the hands. However, IPL may be used on most parts of the body, depending on the needs of the patient and the recommendation of your doctor.
Benefits of IPL treatment:
- Gradual "evening out" of skin tone
- A gradual decrease in hyperpigmentation or redness.
- Improvement in the appearance of pore size and a reduction in the appearance of fine lines.
- Possible removal of darker-colored (brown, black) body hair in treatment areas (chin, upper lip, cheeks). Eyebrows and eyelashes will not be affected as they are not treated by the laser. Hair reduction may be permanent. Hair with lighter pigment (gray, blond) will not be affected.
- An increase in noticeable results with more treatments. Although some patients experience their desired results in just 1-2 sessions, most patients require a series of five treatments.
What to expect
An IPL procedure requires "no downtime," so patients need not interrupt their daily routine. The treatment lasts 20-60 minutes, depending on the areas treated. Before the procedure, the practitioner will apply a thin layer of clear gel to the areas to be treated. This gel is cool and soothing, and assists in the efficacy of the treatment. During the treatment, the practitioner moves the hand piece slowly over the treatment site on the skin. The light is administered in short pulses. You may experience a warm or hot sensation when the laser is fired.
Dr. Menkes, Dr. Soohoo, and our experienced staff can help you love your skin. Contact our office at 650.962.4600 to schedule your consultation.